"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." John Buchan

Thursday, May 16, 2013

May16th Jordan River Trip with Max

Jason, Guy and I had tried to plan a float tube trip today to go to Utah Lake, Willard, Deer Creek or Rockport...  Well due to the weather, specifically the winds, we bailed on that plan.  Seems things were just not meant to be as Jason got a late call that he could not be out of work today anyway and Guy and I ended up having some level of disruption today due to a power outage on campus affecting one of our data centers.

Well not letting a good day off go to waste, my impact from the power outage didn't come until late in the afternoon, I took Max, my youngest, fishing down to the Jordan River today.

We headed down to a spot near 106th south that we have fished before and setup on a nice spot with the water levels where they are.  We were able to get into the inside of a bend that let us have a few places to cast to without worry/issue of line tangles.


It only took a few minutes before Max's line started dancing.  I had intended to head over to help him watch the line and wait for a pull to set the hook.  Well I was busy tying on my line when the good pulls came so I told him to pick it up, set the hook and reel it in.  He did it all himself and did very well with it as you can see.



His first question after we put it on the chain was if he could eat this one for dinner tonight.  So as I'm typing this up I'm also grilling the catfish for his dinner.

We didn't get much else at this spot so we moved down the walkway along the river a 1/2 mile or so and setup there for a bit.  After nothing there we heading to the jeep to head down to a spot I've fished before at 126th south.  We ended up fishing a few spots there and found a spot I had not fished before that again put us on the inside elbow of a bend where we had a lot of spots to cast to.  Again only after a few minutes Max's line went dancing and he again brought another channel catfish in but the fish let go of the line right as we were trying to bring it up on the shore.

We stayed there until about 4pm and then called it good.  This was about the time work was starting to call on me to help out with the days power drama so it was a clean break time to head home.  Max is pretty proud of out fishing dad and that put a big smile on my face. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment